Monday, October 25, 2010

A discourse on hair, young kids and perpetrating esteem


From time to time, I help out by substituting at a classroom for youngsters between the first and eight grades. This day, I had the first to fourth grades and I had two little girls. One is eight and her hair is short, braided and natural; the other little girl is six and have long hair braided in twos and looking quite done. Well the eight year old was eating lunch and her brother made a remark about her hair and I stopped them and told them that her hair is fine and I broke down and asked them about India.Arie and if they have heard, "I Am not My Hair", of course, these are youngsters, so India.Arie is not in their radar. So, despite the fact that they are not to watch the internet, I went online and got the video so that they could see it and had a discussion afterward. The eight year old told us honestly that she DIDN'T like her hair. I felt for her right then and there because what she said was something that many of us sisters have a love hate relationship with their hair, thereby their self esteem and if we got a new generation doing this, then we dropping the ball. we are not making our daughters feel worthy and we got to stop. I have two daughters now 18 and 20 and they didn't get this one from me but they HAVE to have weave in their hair. it perplexes me to the highest. WHY? I remember as a six year old girl having bad arguments with my mom about my hair. I hate to say it but it was the beginning of problems between us. I know feel that as a mother who had some beautiful hair as a young girl and woman until she lost it permanently by getting a bad perm, it hurt her so that it affected my own hair journeys with her and myself but I understand that now and I have no hard feelings for her there. I wish though that we stop this and get to the light on this because we got more generations hating on themselves and THAT is not healthy.
When I first saw India.Arie perform this video, I only wished that she was around years ago when I was facing my own dillemmas. Although another fierce sister who went by the name of Miss Nina Simone was around and rocked a serious afro. My mom had mucho love for her and Miriam Makeba that one time she fixed my hair with an afro and put a clip in it so the afro would go back from my forehead a bit.and she told me I was like Nina Simone.and you know that day, I walked like I was Nina Simone. I still have mad love for them ladies to this day.
So I try my best to love these young girls and sisters to their own selves by letting them know that they are good enough. but we gotta do more. Show em love. encourage them and let them know that the mothers and Queens of Africa gave them their genes and now they must produce. Be your best and do YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment